Frequently asked questions
If you dont find an answer here, please write us so that we can provide more detailed information.
A special feature of the Mietshäuser Syndikat lies in its neutralization of property, its decentralized organizational structure of autonomous projects, and in the commitment of older projects, which have already paid off their debts, to provide financial support for new projects.
Contact us by phone, mail, or e-mail to arrange a meeting. A new group will be mentored by an existing Syndikat project in the vicinity, by the Syndikat itself, or both. Subsequently, a concept with a financing plan will be developed. The group will have to present itself at a general meeting (MV), which then decides whether or not the Syndikat should acquire an interest in the project. General meetings take place an average of three times a year at alternating locations.
The following criteria have to be met before a group can present itself at a general meeting:
- membership in the Syndikat association
- a prospective property
- a financing plan and
- detailed counseling by the Syndikat
- a brief chronology of what has taken place so far and a tentative time schedule of what is to happen in the future
Self-administration is a lot of work to do. The tenants must do everything that was formerly the responsibility of the landlord: financing plans and loan applications in the start-up phase, construction and renovation work, and later also bookkeeping and house management
Tenants do not neccessarily have to give a direct loan to the project. The group of tenants is thus not identical with that of the creditors who have provided direct loans
Nothing. We work on a voluntary basis. Individual groups seeking counseling should contact our office in Freiburg or a project that offers counseling. We gladly provide speakers for information sessions if travel expenses and accommodations are covered.
For the establishment of the house LLC, the new house association has to raise 12,600 Euros for its 51% share of capital stock. The Syndikat provides the remaining 12,400 Euros, making a total of 25,000 Euros that are then available to the house LLC for the purchase of the house.
- The new house association becomes a member of the Syndikat upon depositing a capital contribution of at least 250 Euros.
- The tenants of the new house LLC pay a solidarity contribution that should not be less than 10 cents/square meter of floor space per month, and that increases annually by an amount equal to 0.5% of the rent, excluding utilities.
- The 12,400 Euros provided by the Syndikat are to be ‘paid back’ in the long term by increasing the capital contribution.
There is a wide range of mostly voluntary work, depending to a great degree on the individual areas of interest. Possible activities are, for example, project counseling and public relations, for which sufficient basic knowledge is needed. This may be acquired by way of an internship in one of the Syndikat projects.